REFERENCE NUMBER: GGVAC2023-1479
– Maintain a professional and welcoming approach at all times when dealing with customers
– Promote a positive company image by keeping a neat, clean and tidy appearance
– Interacting with and assisting customers, offering advice and additional services as required
– Greeting customers who enter the shop and assist shoppers to find goods and products
– Resolving customer enquiries received in the shop, over the phone, or email
– Resolving customer complaints and responding to comments as appropriate
– Ensure front of shop is kept clean and tidy at all times ensuring there are no access problems for
customers. Keep back areas including toilets clean and tidy carrying out daily cleaning duties
– Stocking shelves with merchandise
– Keeping up to date with special promotions and putting up displays
– Carry out tasks in an efficient manner, and understand and meet sales targets set
– Attaching price tags to merchandise on the shop floor
– Process payments, operate till and handle cash, credit/debit cards and other payment methods
efficiently and accurately
– Operate information (and manual) systems to the required standard to maintain accurate and secure
– Responsible for security in the store and being on the look-out for shoplifters and fraudulent credit cards
etc. escalating issues promptly as required
– Understand and adhere to the company and department standards, policies and procedures
– Comply with all company policies, rules and procedures at all times
– All stock to be assessed for appropriate positioning and aesthetics.
– Every item to assessed for “fit for use”
– Taking customer’s goods and presenting with receipt on purchase.
– We operate the “Gold Star” system of outstanding customer service. Polite, respectful, helpful & use
initiative to increase product interest.
– All donations or stock purchased to be positioned. “Out of customer sight” within reason to volume of
– Keeping a methodical and observant eye on stock levels and calling back customers with updates on
stock availability. The reserve book will be your project of work and should be able to be picked up by
another member of staff to help out on occasion.
– The shop should be clean and tidy at all times (nursery groups etc. excluded from this)
– All stock priced according to usual pricing methods used by management
– To be aware of items that are low on stock. eg. carrier bags, batteries, cleaning materials, till roll.
– Organising and preparing activities within the shop e.g. arts & crafts, reading corner…
– Follow the housekeeping rules as documented (more information available).
– All incoming calls for collections or in store requests for collection should be directed to head of stock
– (Management roles only) You will be expected to write reports on shop activity…. details to follow…
– (Management roles only) You will be expected to attend business and networking meetings as required
to help with strategy and optimising business performance.
– You will be expected use the Facebook management site/Website in order to optimise sales of new and
existing products….the site will also allow for activities to be relayed to the public
– Be familiar with and follow the company’s health & safety policies and procedures at all times
– Report any accidents in the workplace to management immediately
– Comply with all security measures, internal and external theft prevention procedures at all times
– Liaising with, and following instructions from all senior employees
– Work as part of a team and actively demonstrate a willingness to support and achieve overall business
Main purpose - To provide excellent customer care and kindness to our visiting community members.
Specific Duties - Each day you will be expected to prepare donated items for sale in store and on our social
media platforms, provide excellent customer service, use the till, and maintain a clean and
welcoming environment. You will also be able to make conversation with our community
members who visit, make cups of tea and be helpful in any social activities taking place.
Team work - There will always be a minimum of one other member of staff with you, however there are often
several including a team leader and often our operations manger.
Future Roles - Although this is set as a two year contract we envisage a long term career within our company.
There will be plenty of opportunity to work towards a supervisor or management role. This is
dependent on your performance and dedication to your role.
Training - A team leader will provide all necessary training in store.
– Computer literacy and social media platform knowledge in order to operate customer related information
– Aware of the commercial aims and objectives of the company
– Have a friendly and engaging personality and is comfortable working with members of the public
– Have the ability to be on their feet for most of the day, and able to lift donations of stock
– Able to work as part of a sales team
– Articulate and of smart appearance
Over the last 5 years we have been involved with Glasgow communities with the purpose of enriching their lives. At our children's shop we provide free resources e.g., nappies, clothing, school uniform and any free provisions for families through social work or health visitors. Young people attain their Duke of Edinburgh, volunteering roles for building confidence and back to work/life skills for (additional needs) mature students from the local college.
At present 80% of our employed staff live with anxiety and mental health issues. As a caring enterprise we promote an all-inclusive, sensitive facility to enable employment, whereby it may be difficult for those individuals in a mainstream workplace. At the adult and homeware store, there is a huge assortment of second hand stock, which is displayed and sold in order to fund these activities and responsibilities. All the items have been kindly donated. The customer and retail assistants work between both stores enabling a finance stream. The profits are reinvested to incorporate additional projects.
We have two retail community stores based in Glasgow (Battlefield and Mount Florida). A children's store and an adult's/homeware shop. Both receive donations and the "community and retails assistants" sort and display the stock for sale. Sales are made through online platforms and in store. Both generate the income to sustain and grow our practical and social responsibilities
Currently, we have 14 very friendly and outgoing members of staff. They enjoy the social aspect of their job as well as the sales side!
No formal education or qualifications are required, however, an outgoing personality and caring nature are essential. Full training will be given in store by a supervisor or by our operations manager.
Experience of using social media platforms i.e. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter is highly desirable. Working as part of a team and your willingness to learn is essential. Having prior experience working with second hand donations or selling online would be advantageous.
It is very important that we work in a outgoing and cheerful environment, therefore, it is important that you stand out as an engaging and compassionate individual.